As of this writing Google has not created an iPad app for its Google Docs platform. Memeo has come in to fill that void with its Memeo Connect Reader. While it’s still in development and there are some glitches and limitations, the fact that Memeo has given it free to iPad users is a huge gain for the iPad community.
Memeo Connect Readers syncs with your Google Docs account to provide you with real time access to your important files. Currently the developer has limited the amount of files you can access to 1,000 (up from 200) and plans to lift that limit entirely as the app matures. The Connect Reader is specifically targeted at reading your paperwork; you CANNOT edit them, although the firm claims it is seeking into adding an annotation element in the future.
You’ll be able to view any file that’s saved inside your Google Docs account. The Reader supports virtually all the formats Google Docs supports for word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations. The Memeo reader also allows you to view and sync PDFs, audio, video and images. The exceptions are the Memeo Reader is still limited to what the iPad can play. (i.e. no Flash).
Using the Reader is very easy and navigation is similar to using Google Docs on your web browser. You can browse all the folders you have set up in Google docs, star items, delete items, etc. Memeo’s reader also lets you drag and drop entire folders into your Google Docs account similar to what you would do on other cloud services such as box.net and Google Docs.
– Automatically syncs with Google Docs to keep your documents up to date
– View all your Google Docs files including MS Office, Apple iWorks & PDF documents – even view photos and videos
– Easily scroll and zoom Google Docs for easier reading
– Read offline to keep productive while you are on the go
– Works with Google Docs Standard, Education and Premiere edition users
What’s New in Version 1.1.0
1. Can now import Google documents to Pages, Keynote and Numbers
2. Document limit increased to 1,000 (previously 200)
3. Documents stored in Google’s online format can be synced as Microsoft Office files
4. Documents stored in Google’s online format can be synced as PDF
5. Support for multiple page spreadsheets
6. New settings to change which documents are synced
7. Switch to disable sounds
8. Switch to disable automatic login
9. Fixed bug where the login screen might be displayed when launching the app without a valid network connection
10. Fixed crash when viewing large images