How to (Manually) Update to iOS 5 for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, and Apple TV
Apple has released iOS 5 which has over 200 improvements. iOS 5 is Apple’s attempt to fully turn your iPad into a true laptop replacement. (Direct Download Links for iOS 5.0 Below!)
i) Bugs and Security Patches. Fixes Known Bugs from previous releases.
ii) Notifications. Allows notifications to appear from the top of any iOS Device screen.
iii) iMessage. Allows you to send unlimited text, photo, and video message with other iOS users. Think of it as an AOL Instant messenger or Blackberry BBM for Apple
iv) Newstand. This organizes your magazine and newspaper subscriptions.
v) Reminders. Syncs with iCloud, iCal, and Outlook. Also has location based reminders for iPhone 4 users.
vi) Twitter. Has built-in Twitter support.
vii) Camera. Multiple Improvements. In our opinion the biggest improvement is iOS 5.0 allows for faster photography with the ability to take pictures with the lock screen and Volume UP button.
viii) Built in Photo editing/improvements. Has correction for red-eye and allows you basic editing features such as crop/rotate.
ix) Better Email. iOS 5 includes additional email editing features. Now allows for custom mail sounds.
x) Better Calendar.
xi) Game Center Improvements.
xii) AirPlay Mirroring for iPad and iPhone 4S
xiii) Multitasking Gestures for iPad. 4 and 5 Finger Home screen pinching. Swipe up to show multitasking bar (instead of double tapping home). Swipe left or light to switch between apps.
xiv) Over the air software updates without plugging into iTunes!
xv) iCloud Support. Allows syncing with iCloud for iTunes, Photo Stream, Documents, Books, Apps, Backups, Calendar and Mail contacts.
xvi) New Music App for iPad
xvii) Weather Forecasts
xviii) Stock Quotes
xix) WIRELESS ITUNES SYNCING!!!!! Finally.
xx) Improved Keyboard. iPad users now have a split keyboard. Also supports custom keyboard shortcuts.
xxi) Windows Exchange ActiveSync Improvements.
xxii) 1500 New APIs for Programmers.
Before You Begin:
1. We suggest you back up your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch through iTunes.
2. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes which at the time of this writing is version 10.5. Apple requires you to have the most recent iTunes version. You can update iTunes clicking “Check for Updates” or by downloading iTunes from Apple.com.
For Windows 32-bit users, the direct download link is HERE.
Windows 64-bit users can download 64-bit iTunes HERE.
3. If you are having trouble downloading and installing the operating system on your iPad through iTunes, this may be caused by your computer’s anti-virus or firewall software. Disable your anti-virus and firewall software, and restart iTunes before trying to update your iPad again. You will have to download the update file again, or you can follow the Manual Update Instructions below.
If you are getting an ERROR 3200 or ERROR 3002: This means the Apple servers are jammed up. Apple requires your iOS device to contact their servers for validation before the installation process begins. This means even if you have already downloaded the software, you cannot install it without Apple’s digital authorization. You either have to wait for later, or just keep trying. Try a manual update if this situation arises. Instructions are below.
If you still get the ERROR 3200 or ERROR 3002 message, there is a work around for this for certain Apple devices such as the iPad, but it requires you to first back up your device. If you do not backup your Apple device you will lose all your data attempting this method. With this method, you will be restoring your iPad with the new iOS 5. The restoration method requires you to manually download the iOS IPSW for your Apple device. If you already downloaded the iOS IPSW for your device when trying the manual update instructions, there is no need to download the software again for the restoration method.
The restoration method is just like the manual update instructions except for one detail. Execute the manual update instructions but instead of clicking the “Check for Updates/Update” button, choose the “Restore” button with the proper key sequence
Mac – Hold the Option key and then click on the “Restore” button.
Windows PC – Hold the Shift key and then click on the “Restore” button.
What will happen is your iPad/Apple Device flash/hard drive will be wiped clean, and iTunes will restore your iPad/Apple Device with the new iOS 5 operating system. Then iTunes will you use the backup you made of your device to restore your apps and data. This method takes up to 30 minutes to execute as your backup files must be transferred to your iPad. We cannot stress enough you must make a backup of your data or risk losing it all with the restore method to install iOS 5. Lastly, the restore method does not work will all Apple Devices as we have received reports that some iPhone 4 users could not update to iOS with the restore method.
Manual Update Instructions
1) Download the iOS IPSW file for your iPad or iPhone version. The download links from Apple.com are given below.
2) Open iTunes on your computer and connect your iPad/iPhone using the USB cable.
3) Depending on whether you run Windows or have a MAC, follow
Mac – Hold the Option key and then click on the “Check for Update/Update” button.
Windows PC – Hold the Shift key and then click on the “Check for Update/Update” button.
4) A dialog screen will appear prompting you for the location of the IPSW file you downloaded. Find the file in the file browser and select the IPSW file.
5) iTunes will now use the iPSW file and update your iPad/iPhone to the new iOS version. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
iOS 5 IPSW Direct Download Links from Apple.com Servers:
iPad 2, WIFI Only. DOWNLOAD HERE.