How to (Manually) Update to iOS 5.1 for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch
Apple has released iOS 5.1 which has dozens of improvements and bug fixes. (Direct Download Links for iOS 5.1 Below)
- Battery Fix for iPhone 4s.
- You can delete photos from Photo Streams
- The Lock Screen has camera shortcuts
- Face Detection – camera face detection now highlights all detected faces.
- Fixes and issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls.
Before You Begin:
1. We suggest you back up your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch through iTunes.
2. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes which at the time of this writing is version 10.5. Apple requires you to have the most recent iTunes version. You can update iTunes clicking “Check for Updates” or by downloading iTunes from Apple.com.
3. If you are having trouble downloading and installing the operating system on your iPad through iTunes, this may be caused by your computer’s anti-virus or firewall software. Disable your anti-virus and firewall software, and restart iTunes before trying to update your iPad again. You will have to download the update file again, or you can follow the Manual Update Instructions below.
Manual Update Instructions
1) Download the iOS IPSW file for your iPad or iPhone version. The download links from Apple.com are given below.
2) Open iTunes on your computer and connect your iPad/iPhone using the USB cable.
3) Depending on whether you run Windows or have a MAC, follow
- Mac – Hold the Option key and then click on the “Check for Update/Update” button.
- Windows PC – Hold the Shift key and then click on the “Check for Update/Update” button.
4) A Dialog screen will appear prompting you for the location of the IPSW file you downloaded. Find the file in the file browser and select the IPSW file.
5) iTunes will now use the iPSW file and update your iPad/iPhone to the new iOS version. This will take approximately 10 minutes.
iOS 5.1 IPSW Direct Download Links from Apple.com:
iPad 3, WIFI Only. Download Here.
iPad 3, GSM (AT&T). Download Here.
iPad 3, CDMA (Verizon). Download Here.
iPad 2, WIFI Only. Download Here.
iPad 2, GSM (AT&T). Download Here.
iPad 2, CDMA (Verizon). Download Here.
iPad 1 (1st Generation). Download Here.
iPhone 4S. Download Here.
iPhone 4, GSM (AT&T). Download Here.
iPhone 4, CDMA (Verizon) Download Here.
iPhone 3GS Download Here.
iPod Touch 3G. Download Here.
iPod Touch 4G. Download Here.
Apple TV 2: iOS 5.1 for Apple TV 2 is currently in beta testing. We will update links once the final release candidate is updated.